Vietnam, for many recent years, has been an attractive place for foreigners to work. However, there are still many people who do not clearly know what they have to prepare for legally working here in the country. Why is a work permit needed? How to get one? All will be explained in this post.
Why do Foreign Workers in Vietnam Need a Work Permit
Many will think owning a Vietnam long-term visa allows them to do business or work in Vietnam. But the answer is wrong.
If you are working in Vietnam without a work permit, you will be subjected to a fine or other penalty, or even be expelled from the country.
A Vietnam work permit is simply understood as an official certificate issued by the Ministry of Labor, Invalids, and Society of Vietnam, giving the approval for foreigners to work in Vietnam legally. It is also an important paper for foreigners to get a temporary residence card to stay in Vietnam for up to 2 years without leaving the country of extending visa in Vietnam.
The information in the certificate will include:
- Number of the work permit;
- Full name of the employee;
- Date of birth;
- Passport number;
- Working place;
- Name of company/ organization they are working for;
- Job assignment, job title;
- Working time;
- Status of the work permit (whether newly issued or re-issuance);
- Signature and stamp of the issuing authority;
Besides, some can still work in Vietnam without a work permit. Check out who they are:
- Foreigners who possess a bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of experience in a related field. However, they can stay in Vietnam for no more than 30 days at a time and not more than a total of 90 days in a year.
- Authorized volunteers from international organizations, foreign students working as an intern in Vietnamese companies or experts supporting and implementing projects of Official Development Assistance;
- Teachers working for international schools under the control of foreign embassies or international organizations.
Vietnam Work Permit Requirements and Documents
The documents required for submission need from both the applicants and from the employers as below.
Applicants need to prepare:
- Application form for Vietnam work permit;
- Copy of passport and valid current Vietnam visa;
- Health check confirmation;
- Criminal records;
- Copy of highest degree;
- 2 newly-taken, passport-size photos;
Vietnamese employers need to prepare:
- Valid employment contract;
- Copy of Certificate of Business Registration;
- Approval of using labor issued by the local authority;
How to get Vietnam Work Permit
It is noted that expats can’t apply for a Vietnam work permit directly with the authority, but must via their Vietnamese employers, or via a sponsoring agency in Vietnam.
The process to get a work permit in Vietnam consists of 02 steps as follows:
- Step 1: obtain approval for using foreign workers from the Provincial People’s Committee; and
- Step 2: Obtain the work permit from the Department of Labor, War Invalids and Sociakl Affairs.
Vietnam work permit processing time and fees
If there are no problems, your application for a Vietnam work permit will be processed in 8 business days from the time all hard papers are received. The employers will then visit the authority office for collection, or choose the return service via mail with an extra fee.
The validity of a Vietnam work permit can be up to 2 years, and you can extend for a longer duration when it expires.